3-COURSE SERIES FOR WINTER 2012-2013:
EXPANDING THE BENEFITS OF APPRECIATIVE INQUIRY
Working from the strengths we discover in ourselves and our communities
Three different small-studio explorations into the theory, principles and practice of AI. You will expand your capacity for facilitation, collaboration and leadership in today’s shifting organizations.
In a time of such rapid change, it can be difficult for any of us to wrap our arms around how the shifts in our culture, technology, and knowledge might affect our daily lives. What do we need to learn? How is this impacting the way we lead and participate in our communities? Appreciative Inquiry (AI), at heart, is an inquiry into what gives life in a system. It provides a path to tap,
track, raise, and direct energy. Incorporating the principle that organizations and people do not need to be fixed but affirmed, Ai deepens our ability to benefit from the collective intelligence contained within our organizations.
1 Introduction to Appreciative Inquiry
12-13 December [Wednesday & Thursday]
$987.00 Limited to six participants Register early
In this initial 2-day workshop, participants explore and experience the principles and practice of AI,
getting basic skills necessary to apply it immediately. This studio is designed for people who want to
get started with Appreciative Inquiry or want a thorough review.
Discover, enrich and transform your ability to:
• Move from a problem to a solution focus
• Frame and focus individual, group, and system strengths
• Tap the power of language and stories in finding answers to tough issues
• Generate powerful conversations that move you forward
Explore research on organizational implications of positive psychology and neuroscience,
Examine recent case studies and lessons learned from applying AI to a variety of industries and
2 Appreciative Inquiry and the Future:
Leadership Literacies for This Century
15—17 January [Tuesday evening, Wednesday & Thursday]
Prerequisite: training in basics of AI
$1097.00 Limited to 6 participants
Leaders who have been exposed to the Appreciative approach have welcomed the opportunity to
balance the usual deficit-based problem-solving framework with the power of a collaborative,
strengths-based approach to developing teams, fostering innovation, and increasing collaboration
and connection. In this studio targeted to your particular leadership situation, we will explore these
• What literacies do we need to develop to help our organizations and communities flourish?
• How can we quickly define and leverage our strengths and the strengths of our customers and
• What will create environments of engagement that inspire and sustain extraordinary
• How can we keep tapping our collective intelligence and resourcefulness to find vision and
solutions for the way forward?
• How do we shift our frames as organizations and communities demand that we get better at
working with the multiplicity of current perspectives?
• What will it take for us to collaborate better, both inside our organization and with our
stakeholders and communities?
3 AI Everyday: 5 Ways
6--7 February [Wednesday & Thursday]
Prerequisite: training in basics of AI
$987.00 Limited to eight participants Register early
More than any other request, I hear from people that they want to learn ways to apply AI everyday in
their lives, not just use it for big events. This two-day studio focuses on exactly that:
o Power of Reframing: Learning to reframe issues and dilemmas from deficit to solution everyday,
Get more experience in choosing the most powerful topic you can pose;
o Power of Connecting Multiplicity and Wholeness: Tapping and developing the collective
collaborative capacity that is already present in our organizations;
o Power of Strengths and the Positive: Bringing out the best in people while achieving key results,
shifting from a deficit to strengths focus and greater team engagement;
o Power of Questions: Focusing our attention, direction, and intention with powerful inquiry;
o Power of Playing FAIR: Practicing a framework for difficult conversations that can be used
Upcoming Spring Workshops:
• META AI: Appreciative Organizational Design and Governance
• AI Summitry: Tapping Whole Systems to Move Organizations and Communities Forward
• Leadership Literacies [Part 2]: Framing Leadership in the Opportunities of our Time
How To Register:
If you bring a friend, you will both enjoy a 20% discount. If you have taken an AI course with Sallie before, you will receive a 10% discount. If you have taken one of these courses before and want to review it, you can do that for a 50% discount. Under 30 and looking to make a difference in your community? Also a 50% discount. If you are interested in taking two or three of the workshops, you will also receive a package price. Let’s talk.